She's Not My Girlfriend
|"She's Not My Girlfriend"
|Song by Marilyn Manson & the Spooky Kids
|December 26, 1990
|Beat Up Your Mom
"She's Not My Girlfriend" is the fourth and final track on the 1990 release Grist-o-Line. In the song Marilyn Manson describes killing a friend of his then-girlfriend, who he began sleeping with after drawing the apparent conclusion that his girlfriend was having an affair with Heather's boyfriend. Heather became psychotic and delirious in her being attached to Manson and the band, and believing herself that the band was just as much hers as it was Manson's. She was soon after replaced as a stage girl by Manson's next girlfriend Melissa Romero. Heather, and certain aspects of this song, are detailed in Manson's autobiography The Long Hard Road Out of Hell, albeit with Heather referred to as "Nancy".
- "She's Not My Girlfriend" — Appears on Grist-o-Line.
- "She's Not My Girlfriend" (Remastered mix from Grist-o-Line) — Appears on Marilyn Manson & the Spooky Kids' second studio album.
Her heart is in my hand It shivers like a toad She tries to understand the Tiny lump that's down Inside her throat it goes Suck suck Her face is inside out An open book report I read what she's about and she's Filled with words that hurt it goes Suck suck Her head is in my lap It twists and coughs and sings Her hair is in my grasp It hangs and swings like Swollen strings she just Suck suck Sometimes I want her in Sometimes I want her out My perception of sin Is filled with pain and fear And doubt She is not my girlfriend I'm not who you think I am Her clothes are on the ground A crumpled rainbow mass She's scattered all around And she's scattered now Like broken glass it goes Suck suck Sometimes I want her in Sometimes I want her out My perception of sin Is filled with pain and fear And doubt She is not my girlfriend I'm not who you think I am
- The song features the same riff as "1996", a song from Marilyn Manson's 1996 album Antichrist Superstar, albeit played slower.
- Some of the lyrics carry a resemblance to the Portrait of an American Family song "Sweet Tooth".
- On most bootlegs this track is mislabeled as "Shop-Sha".
- The song was originally titled "Killing Heather".
- Manson considers the song to be the worst song he has ever written.