Get Your Gunn (song)
- for the single see Get Your Gunn (single)
|"Get Your Gunn"
|Song by Marilyn Manson
|Portrait of an American Family
|July 12, 1994
|August–December 1993 at Criteria Studios in Miami, Florida, Record Plant Studios in Los Angeles, California, The Village Recorder and Pig
|Daisy Berkowitz, Gidget Gein
|Marilyn Manson, Trent Reznor
"Get Your Gunn" is the first single and the seventh track of the first album Portrait of an American Family. The song was inspired by the murder of OB/GYN doctor David Gunn who was killed in Florida by an anti-abortion activist. Vocalist Marilyn Manson described his murder as 'the ultimate hypocrisy'.
Get Your Gunn was also the first release from Nothing Records.
- Get Your Gunn (1994)
- S*F*W (1994)
The Manson Family Album
- "Get Your Gunn" — Appears on Portrait Sessions.
- "Get Your Gunn" — Appears on The Manson Family Album.
- "Get Your Gunn" — Appears on Portrait of an American Family.
- "Get Your Gunn (High School Drop-outs)" — Appears on promotional versions of the "Get Your Gunn" single.
- "Mother Inferior Got Her Gunn" — Appears on the "Get Your Gunn" single.
- "Get Your Gunn" (Live) — Appears on The Last Tour on Earth.
The music video, directed by Rod Chong, features Manson performing in a damp "attic-like" scene, intertwined by footage of band members and two feisty teenage girls. It did not receive much video play.
goddamn your righteous hand i eat innocent meat the housewife i will beat the prolife i will kill what you won't do i will i bash myself to sleep what you sow i will reap i scar myself you see i wish i wasn't me i am the little stick you stir me into shit i hate therefore i am goddamn your righteous hand goddamn, goddamn, goddamn, goddamn pseudo-morals work real well on the talk shows for the weak but your selective judgements and goodguy badges don't mean a fuck to me i throw a little fit i slit my teenage wrist the most that I can learn is in records that you burn get your gunn, get your gunn, get your gunn, get your gunn pseudo-morals work real well on the talk shows for the weak but your selective judgements and goodguy badges don't mean a fuck to me i am the vhs record me with your fist you want me to save the world i'm just a little girl pseudo-morals work real well on the talk shows for the weak but your selective judgements and goodguy badges don't mean a fuck to me get your gunn, get your gunn, get your gunn, get your gunn... get
- "Snake Eyes and Sissies" was initially meant to be the album's lead single, but "Get Your Gunn" was released instead.
- According to photos on his MySpace profile, former Marilyn Manson guitarist Scott Putesky, better known as Daisy Berkowitz, can be seen playing a Jackson Soloist in the song's music video. Putesky also states the video was filmed in Texas.
- After the lyrics "I am the vhs/Record me with your fist/You want me to save the world/I'm just a little girl" (Which occur at 2:29) a clip from Budd Dwyer's suicide can be heard.
- The line "I hate, therefore I am" is a play on the phrase "I think, therefore I am", which was originally stated by René Descartes.
- "The title is spelled with two n's because the song was a reaction to the murder of Dr. David Gunn, who was killed in Florida by pro-life activists while I was living there. That was the ultimate hypocrisy I witnessed growing up: that these people killed someone in the name of being "pro-life." - Marilyn Manson
- "Get Your Gunn", along with "Coma White" and "Tourniquet", was made available to download as a playable track on Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock on February 8, 2011 as part of the February Megapack.
- In Texas on the set of Get Your Gunn - Ouija Jackson Soloist - lots of fog machine action. MySpace Music. Scott Putesky.